1Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
2And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
3But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
4Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
5For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
6Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
7Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
8For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
10Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
11And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
12For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.
13But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
14Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
15See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
16Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
17Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
18And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
19Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
21Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
22Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
24Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
28So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
30For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
32This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
33Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.
1(A) Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. 2And(B) walk in love,(C) as Christ loved us and(D) gave himself up for us, a(E) fragrant(F)offering and sacrifice to God. 3But(G) sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness(H) must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. 4Let there be(I) no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking,(J) which are out of place, but instead(K) let there be thanksgiving. 5For you may be sure of this, that(L) everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous ((M) that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. 6(N) Let no one(O) deceive you with empty words, for because of these things(P) the wrath of God comes upon(Q) the sons of disobedience. 7Therefore(R) do not become partners with them; 8for(S) at one time you were(T) darkness, but now you are light in the Lord.(U) Walk as children of light 9(for(V) the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), 10and(W) try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. 11(X) Take no part in the(Y) unfruitful(Z) works of darkness, but instead(AA) expose them. 12For(AB) it is shameful even to speak of the things that they do in secret. 13But when(AC) anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible, 14for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore it says,(AD) “Awake, O sleeper,
and(AE) arise from the dead,
and(AF)Christ will shine on you.”15(AG) Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, 16(AH) making the best use of the time, because(AI) the days are evil. 17Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what(AJ) the will of the Lord is. 18And(AK) do not get drunk with wine, for that is(AL) debauchery, but(AM) be filled with the Spirit, 19addressing one another in(AN) psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, 20(AO) giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father(AP) in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, 21(AQ)submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.
22(AR) Wives,(AS) submit to your own husbands,(AT) as to the Lord. 23For(AU) the husband is the head of the wife even as(AV) Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is(AW) himself its Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit(AX)in everything to their husbands. 25(AY) Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and(AZ) gave himself up for her, 26that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by(BA) the washing of water(BB) with the word, 27so(BC) that he might present the church to himself in splendor,(BD) without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.[a] 28In the same way(BE) husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, 30because(BF) we are members of his body. 31(BG) “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and(BH) the two shall become one flesh.” 32This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. 33However,(BI) let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she(BJ) respects her husband.
- Ephesians 5:27 Or holy and blameless
- Ephesians 5:1 : Ephesians 4:32; Matt 5:7, 48; Luke 6:36
- Ephesians 5:2 : Rom 14:15; Col 3:14; John 13:34
- Ephesians 5:2 : Rom 8:37
- Ephesians 5:2 : Rom 4:25
- Ephesians 5:2 : Gen 8:21
- Ephesians 5:2 : Heb 7:27; 9:14; 10:10, 12
- Ephesians 5:3 : 1 Cor 6:18; Gal 5:19
- Ephesians 5:3 : Ephesians 5:12; Psalm 16:4
- Ephesians 5:4 : Ephesians 4:29; Eccles 10:13
- Ephesians 5:4 : Rom 1:28
- Ephesians 5:4 : Ephesians 5:20
- Ephesians 5:5 : 1 Cor 6:9
- Ephesians 5:5 : Col 3:5
- Ephesians 5:6 : Matt 24:4
- Ephesians 5:6 : Col 2:8
- Ephesians 5:6 : Rom 1:18; Col 3:6
- Ephesians 5:6 : Ephesians 2:2; 1 Pet 1:14
- Ephesians 5:7 : Ephesians 3:6
- Ephesians 5:8 : Ephesians 2:1, 2
- Ephesians 5:8 : Acts 26:18
- Ephesians 5:8 : Isa 2:5; Luke 16:8; John 12:35, 36
- Ephesians 5:9 : Gal 5:22; Rom 7:4
- Ephesians 5:10 : 1 Thess 2:4; 5:21
- Ephesians 5:11 : 1 Cor 5:9
- Ephesians 5:11 : Rom 6:21
- Ephesians 5:11 : Rom 13:12
- Ephesians 5:11 : Lev 19:17; 1 Tim 5:20
- Ephesians 5:12 : Ephesians 5:3
- Ephesians 5:13 : John 3:20, 21; Ephesians 5:9
- Ephesians 5:14 : Isa 51:17; 52:1; 60:1; Mal 4:2; Rom 13:11
- Ephesians 5:14 : Isa 26:19
- Ephesians 5:14 : Luke 1:78, 79
- Ephesians 5:15 : Col 4:5; Prov 15:21
- Ephesians 5:16 : Ephesians 5:15
- Ephesians 5:16 : Ephesians 6:13; Eccles 12:1; Amos 5:13; Gal 1:4
- Ephesians 5:17 : Rom 12:2; 1 Thess 4:3; 5:18
- Ephesians 5:18 : Prov 20:1; 23:20, 31; 1 Cor 5:11
- Ephesians 5:18 : Titus 1:6; 1 Pet 4:4
- Ephesians 5:18 : Luke 1:15
- Ephesians 5:19 : Acts 16:25; 1 Cor 14:26; Col 3:16; James 5:13
- Ephesians 5:20 : Col 3:17; 1 Thess 1:2; 2 Thess 1:3
- Ephesians 5:20 : Heb 13:15; John 14:13
- Ephesians 5:21 : Phil 2:3
- Ephesians 5:22 : For Ephesians 5:22–6:9, Col 3:18–4:1
- Ephesians 5:22 : Gen 3:16
- Ephesians 5:22 : Ephesians 6:5
- Ephesians 5:23 : 1 Cor 11:3
- Ephesians 5:23 : Ephesians 1:22, 23
- Ephesians 5:23 : 1 Cor 6:13
- Ephesians 5:24 : Col 3:20, 22; Titus 2:9
- Ephesians 5:25 : Ephesians 5:28, 33; 1 Pet 3:7
- Ephesians 5:25 : Ephesians 5:2
- Ephesians 5:26 : Titus 3:5; Rev 7:14
- Ephesians 5:26 : Ephesians 6:17; Heb 6:5; John 15:3
- Ephesians 5:27 : 2 Cor 11:2; Ephesians 1:4
- Ephesians 5:27 : Song 4:7
- Ephesians 5:28 : Ephesians 5:25, 33
- Ephesians 5:30 : Gen 2:23; 1 Cor 6:15
- Ephesians 5:31 : Matt 19:5; Mark 10:7, 8; Gen 2:24
- Ephesians 5:31 : 1 Cor 6:16
- Ephesians 5:33 : Ephesians 5:25, 28
- Ephesians 5:33 : 1 Pet 3:2, 6
The Ephesian letter is one of Paul’s four “Imprisonment Letters”-Philippians, Colossians, and Philemon being the others. Although addressed to the church in Ephesus, this letter is generally believed to have been a circular discussing the believers’ exalted position through Christ, the Church as the body of Christ, her relationship to God, and practical implications of the Gospel.
- Ephesians 5-6 (mybiblereadingplan.wordpress.com)
- A Summary Of Ephesians (injesus.wordpress.com)
- Ephesians 3:1-13 – Paul’s Gospel (readingacts.wordpress.com)
- What is a Christian Marriage Anyway? (ginzotalk.wordpress.com)
- Marriage, and Headship (hillsbiblechurch.org)
- The Sexually Immoral, Impure and Covetous Person; That Would Be the Old Me and You. (goldenbible.wordpress.com)